A MEETING OF ST MARY’S PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL

AT 43, The Avenue

Tuesday 20th March 2018 AT  8PM

 

AGENDA

 

APOLOGIES /OPENING PRAYER

 

APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING  

MATTERS ARISING – progress on 

  Church opening            

 PA equipment in tower

 Bier renovation           Dick/Hugh         

WORSHIP & PASTORAL MATTERS

 April 1st  Easter day

 Marjorie’s funeral arrangements

 Safeguarding requirements

 MAINTENANCE / REORDERING

 -reordering committee progress to date

 -progress on David Llewellyn

 -          CCTV camera

 Cleaning and flower rotas

 FUNDRAISING

 May 12th Gidding Pilgrimage

 

FINANCIAL UPDATE

 ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 DATE OF NEXT MEETING

 

CLOSING PRAYER

 

ST. MARY’S CHURCH LEIGHTON BROMSWOLD


VESTRY AND ANNUAL PAROCHIAL CHURCH MEETING

MONDAY 25th April, 2016 at 7.00 p.m. in the Church
VESTRY
CHAIRMAN: Revd. Brenda Stewart

Present: Brenda, Dick, Hugh, Linda, Gareth, Sylvia, Miriam, Jon, Alan, Amanda, Neville, Jenny

Apologies - Pat Moore
Election of Churchwardens for the coming year : No nominations were made for the role of Church Warden and the PCC agreed to continue working as a cooperative as they had been for the past 3 years. Brenda feels the current arrangement works well.
Deanery Synod rep – Pat Moore

ANNUAL PAROCHIAL CHURCH MEETING -16, The Avenue

Minutes of the APCM held in April 2015 - agreed these were true record
Matters arising- nothing arising from last AGM
Annual Review by all on proceedings of the PCC during past year.
Gidding pilgrimage –Dr Rowan Williams, over 200 present on this sunny day, all went off well.
Worship gone well, congregation stable
Church weekend went well, especially the film night
Café church well attended on both occasions
Music and verse great performances although audience slightly smaller
Harvest lunch outside again, some extra joined us
Good number at Christmas- dressing up worked well
Remembrance – still well attended even though cubs and scouts at Catworth. Brian Hyder-Smith was enjoyed by all.
Bell ringing quarter peel – for Chris Higgins
Visits from various architects
Tea and history visits during the autumn from U3A, proved a good fund raiser
Emily and James Brown Wedding on August 8th
Baptism for Eyres family took place
New notice board and A board put out each weekend
Visit to church and report to PCC by Sue Milton about their reordering experiences was very useful
Rector’s Report
Brenda shared her positive report on the year, a copy will be attached.
Church Electoral Roll Report
Hugh reported 12 people on the roll, same as last year.
Financial Report and submission of audited accounts for the year ending 31st December 2015, for approval

Hugh reported that :investments bringing in a little more
Generally we are keeping head above water month by month
Investments -£71K now £69 in 2014

Regular service plates are down but:
Gift aid up to £1500 last year
Church lighting - £910 + gift aid
Organised tours U3A £391
Gidding pilgrimage £939

£1700 more income over expenditure this year
A full breakdown was given to those present
Bequests
£5000 Richard – Brenda to ask and see if a bench could be purchased with part of this and add a plaque
£50 Mary K
Appointment of Auditors for the current year
John Hurley to audit the accounts again this year
Report on Fabric, Goods and Ornaments of the Church
Daylight can be seen now through the hole in the roof.
Elsie Wright’s bench needs to be re –varnished
Attendance Figures
Between 10-20 usually
Election of representatives to the PCC
Sylvia
Pat ( Deanery synod rep)
Hugh (Linda)- treasurer
Alan (Amanda)
Miriam
Jenny(Jon) secretary
Co-opted members Dick, Neville- vice chair and Gareth





PCC MEETING FOLLOWING THE APCM at 16 The Avenue


AOB
Architect visit this morning, Fiona Russek – not fully qualified but keen to get involved in a first big project, she had done several kitchens and toilets
Maybe out of her depth by herself
She was unable to show anything she had done already, but David Pitts may be able to help her through, he recommended her to us.
She is going to get back with ideas of what she could do.

Discussed Archangel again- as he was good for ideas and vision

ACTION- sub-committee will wait till they hear back from Fiona and then decide next step

Grant for the roof has been applied for to the Heritage Lottery fund – Hugh
We need to have an architect in place to get this money
We are through 1st of 3 steps
2nd step – architect in place
3rd step – full plans to proceed

Church opening – Brenda asked if church could be opened more, especially at weekends
To be open 24/7 we need to alter the insurance ~ £28 extra per year
Discussion on what % cover v what excess
Archdeacon suggesting 75% and £1000 excess – Sylvia proposed and Alan seconded.
Agreed Church to be opened 24/7
Tower to be locked - keyboard to be kept in the tower.
The A board to be kept up under the lych gate

Fund Raising
Cream teas in the churchyard this weekend 2.5.16
3-5pm
Flyer to go round village this week
Hugh to do FB
Dick to bring up tables
Brenda to bring churchyard quiz
Jenny to buy cream, jam, milk, butter and sort advertising

Gidding Pilgrimage 21.5.16
~50 people expected 10.30 am service
£10 per head - £6 for lunch, tickets to be issued
Linda, Hugh, Sylvia, Jenny, Amanda, available to help
Hot pork rolls, apple sauce, stuffing, fruit, salad
Traybake / cake all to make
Hugh – drinks

Bikefest 11th June
We are doing teas and cakes for them
Music and verse- will be postponed to 2017 as no suitable date for Alan/ the village

September weekend 9th-11th September
Brenda and Stephen may be able to put something on on the Saturday night
Money from this to go the Benefice but refreshment money to church
Then have the film night, café church and charity breakfast as usual
Everyone to think about films- possibly new jungle book?
Dick to sort screen
Linda to sort curtain

AOB
Dick – reported from Norman
flood light tray needs replacing £113 or £134 for new unit
Agreed to go ahead and replace the unit

The chancel heaters – wiring is OK
Quote for 4 x 3kw heaters – infrared as most efficient - £1690 fitted including VAT?
Alternative ceramic infrared heater 4 x2kw but not as efficient would be same price.

Norman recommended the 3kw infrared
Agreed to go ahead
Dick, Alan, and Hugh to get together and finalise with Norman

The meeting ended at 10pm with prayer

Date of next meeting Tuesday 12th July, 7.30pm, 16 The Avenue 

 

 

 

 MINUTES OF ST MARY’S PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL MEETING
AT 16 The Avenue
Tuesday 22nd January 2016 AT 7.30PM

APOLOGIES /OPENING PRAYER
Hugh, Neville, Pat ? Gareth?
Brenda circulated –Levers of change- from the diocese and read from Ephesians 4v1-16
As well as the section on nurture
A folder of resources was given to LB from Ely- to be passed round and perused

P RESENT
Miriam, Sylvia, Brenda, Dick, Linda, Jon, Jenny, Amanda, Alan

APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
It was agreed they were a true record

MATTERS ARISING
Organ update- no further progress yet from the organ builders
Quote ~ £1500,
Questions were raised as to how much it would be used? /where it would go?/ how the cold will affect it? Who would play it?
Only place it can go now is in front of the North porch. Would not want to store it unused for 5yrs and not sure how temperature would affect it.
ACTION- wait for renewed quote and then make decision; although mood was to let it go and maybe look for one when we are more able to house it after the re-ordering.

WORSHIP & PASTORAL MATTERS
Service pattern-
February 14th- Jon to do
March 6th- evensong 6pm, rehearsal at 5pm, refreshments at start
March 13th- communion
Easter 27th March – Easter breakfast at 8am as clocks spring forward
ACTION- Dick brazier – ladies- breakfast

MAINTENANCE
-reordering committee progress to date- not met since last meeting

Lucas the contractor was going to be approached to recommend an architect.
ACTION :Date for sub- committee to meet 7:30pm Monday 8th Feb- Linda, Alan, Dick, Neville

-temporary heating – Dick had received quote from Norman Grundy to check the electrics and whether the wiring to the heaters in the chancel is ok - £325 + VAT
Agreed to go ahead and ask him to carry out PAT tests (£5 per item) at the same time.
Everyone was happy to pursue the heaters – the quote will be emailed round so a decision can be made.

The hot air blower- concerns raised over leaving the church open while the blower is there in case of theft as it’s not ours .
ACTION to put blower in the north porch.- Dick agreed to do this after the service and put noticeboard in front
Question arose over the safety of the keyboard as well? No decision made

Churchyard clean up – ok at present, Jon had sprayed off weeds in December-decided to wait till later in the year

FUNDRAISING
Gidding Pilgrimage- 21st May- not so many expected, so marquee not needed and just 1 toilet
M&V -Date was for 9th July but now village party clashes
Time spent looking for alternative dates which was very difficult, finally decided to go for 2nd July 7pm although it clashes with Catworth Rocks

Village weekend will be 9-10th September
Breakfast
Concert / film night
Café church

Cream Teas in the church – May day - Monday 2nd May
3-5pm

FINANCIAL UPDATE
Hugh’s report was read
Questions asked and sent back to Hugh
The clarity of the accounts and the amount of work done was appreciated – Thank you Hugh

ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Roof repairs – to be discussed at sub-committee meeting

Alan brought up the prayer box idea discussed at lifegroup-
A box could be put under the noticeboard and opened before the service and requests included in the intercessions / lifegroup
ACTION- Jon find a suitable box - Dick to attach to wall -

Flower /cleaning rota – Miriam to check what needs changing

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

AGM – Monday 25th April 7pm in the church
followed by PCC meeting at 16, The Avenue

CLOSING PRAYER at 10.05pm

 

 

 

ST. MARY’S CHURCH LEIGHTON BROMSWOLD


VESTRY AND ANNUAL PAROCHIAL CHURCH MEETING MINUTES

TUESDAY 14th April, 2015 at 7.00 p.m. in the Church

PRESENT Brenda , Linda, Sylvia, Jon, Alan, Amanda, Dick, Hugh, Miriam, Neville, Gareth, Jenny

APOLOGIES: Pat M

No nominations were made for the role of Church Warden and the PCC agreed to continue working as a cooperative as they had been for the past 2 years. Brenda feels the current arrangement works well.

Deanery Synod representative- Pat happy to continue


ANNUAL PAROCHIAL CHURCH MEETING -


Minutes of the APCM held on April 1st 2014
The minutes from the 1.4.14 were read and agreed and signed as correct.
Matters arising
Reading rota requested by Brenda

Annual Review by all on proceedings of the PCC during past year.
Over the year:
Congregation size stayed about the same ~10-15 depending on service
Carol service – very full and the shorter length appreciated
Dawn service 2014 was poorly attended as the clock change coincided with the Sunday
The cream tea afternoon was well supported on bank holiday Monday and the quiz was enjoyed by children and adults
Family services were abandoned as very few children.
No weddings took place but the funeral of Dickie Bird
Gidding Pilgrimage – lunch supplied, bad weather perhaps meant there were not as many as other years
Music and verse was a resounding success as was the rest of the weekend.- film night, ride and stride.
Café church held in the church yard was good ~ 30-40 there including some new faces
Family breakfast held in the churchyard
Harvest was also a success and the warm weather meant lunch was enjoyed in the churchyard

Rector’s Report
Brenda shared her report. See attached
Church Electoral Roll Report
12 on the roll, 13 last year.
Financial Report and submission of audited accounts for the year ending 31st
December 2014, for approval

Hugh delivered his report.- everyone had received a copy by email, others received hard copy
Generally good, £5000 bequeathed
Gift aid working well now –regularly over £1000, projection for this year ~£1200
Dvd sales £481.50 sold, although not always paid for!
Collection(plate and box) now over £1500. Full gift aid on this.
Assets now over £100,000, including investments, return of 7% on Sextons field £17,000
School fund much lower 0.4% on £53,000
Insurance is coming down ~ 8% a year, Hugh is renegotiating with the insurance company over the excesses on a yearly basis

A vote of thanks was given to Hugh for all the work he’s put into this over the year

Dick asked about the cost of electricity use, which he felt was high. Hugh confirmed we were on a better rate, changing to LED lights in the flood lights was suggested and using different bulbs inside
ACTION : Dick to investigate, flood lights initially.

Appointment of Auditors for the current year
John Hurley to audit accounts again
Report on Fabric, Goods and Ornaments of the Church
Roof to be discussed later
Hugh reported the break in via the chancel door, nothing was damaged/taken and the door has now been locked.
Attendance figures
Vary depending on the service, 10-20 generally
30-40 harvest and café church, 100+-carol service, ~100- remembrance


Election of representatives to the PCC
Sylvia
Pat ( Deanery synod rep)
Hugh (Linda)- treasurer
Alan (Amanda)
Miriam
Jenny(Jon) secretary
Co-opted members Dick and Neville- vice chair
Gareth agreed to come on board

AOB
Gareth asked about the colours mentioned in the order of services, Brenda explained how these varied throughout the church calendar.

Everyone moved to 16 The Avenue at 8.15pm

PCC MEETING FOLLOWING THE AGM at 16 The Avenue

PRESENT Brenda , Linda, Sylvia, Jon, Alan, Amanda, Dick, Hugh, Miriam, Neville, Gareth, Jenny, Pat


Brenda proposed dividing into sub committees for part of the PCC meetings
Reordering committee- Dick, Hugh, Linda, Neville, Alan
Other committees not yet decided

Review of roles
Miriam-flower and cleaning rota and refreshments, attends church warden meetings
Sylvia- communion and attends church warden meetings, funeral coordinator
Alan- music coordinator and server
Neville- vice chair
Hugh- treasurer and Village matters correspondent
Jenny- secretary, wedding link person
Pat- Deanery synod rep
Linda- baptism coordinator, deputy deanery synod rep
Jon- alternative service coordinator
Pat -Readers rota

Re-ordering
Visits to other churches have taken place
Linda saw St Benedicts in Cambridge which had a mezzanine floor (not so good for elderly folk)
A visit was made to Easton church – where the font had been moved successfully and a meeting room/kitchen included
Buildings committee need to get together now monthly and report back to pcc meeting
ACTION: Dick Neville Hugh Linda

Worship and pastoral
Dawn service much better at 7:30 28 attended
Baptism of Sophie (Eayrs) baby at some point.
Discussion took place on reducing the church related wedding fees for Emily and James, the decision was to reduced them to 50%on this occasion.but not to be set as a precedent.



Maintenance
Graves to be sprayed by Martin Eyres in next 2 weeks
Lighting has made £916 this year
Noticeboard has been ordered -cost£714.72, hopefully be here before pilgrimage


Fund Raising
Gidding Pilgrimage –likely to be ~175
Lunch to be simplified but still charging £5, will be a cold lunch
3 toilets ordered
Could put up part of the marquee Action : DICK
Parking- Action: Neville and Dick to organise and liaise with villagers

AOB
Hugh asked if we should register for VAT as a registered charity
Decided to go ahead if Hugh prepared to do the paperwork.

Date of next meeting: 21st July 7:30pm, 16 The Avenue

Meeting closed 10.15 pm